Often, privacy and security professionals are seen as “paranoid” or “Chicken Little” ….. statistics are pointing to something that more closely resembles the canary in the coal mine.
A new Internet Security Threat Report provides an overview and analysis of the year’s global internet threat activity. The report is based on data from the Symantec™ Global Intelligence Network, which Symantec’s analysts use to identify, analyze, and provide commentary on emerging trends in the dynamic threat landscape.
- 91% increase in targeted attacks campaigns in 2013
- 62% increase in the number of breaches in 2013
- Over 552M identities were exposed via breaches in 2013
- 23 zero-day vulnerabilities discovered
- 38% of mobile users have experienced mobile cybercrime in past 12 months
- Spam volume dropped to 66% of all email traffic
- 1 in 392 emails contain a phishing attacks
- Web-based attacks are up 23%
- 1 in 8 legitimate websites have a critical vulnerability